In this house, we have a pretty strict school night routine in place. I’ve found that it really works for the boys, and helps keep our household running smoothly.
Our school night routine:
1. In from school – unpack their backpacks, put their lunch bags on the counter and their homework on the landing.
2. Downtime – super important for my boys, they need their quiet after a school day. They get a snack and then watch TV for a bit to recharge.
3. After school activities – if they have hockey or swimming I try to book it in this space if possible.
4. Dinner as a family – the most important time of the day for all of us.
5. Homework – if the boys don’t have homework on a school night, I have them do some extra reading/studying at this time.
7. More downtime
8. Bedtime – differs by age, Nick is older so he gets to stay up 1/2 hour later than Max.
Also, I have two rules specifically for school nights: #1 No video games, no computer unless it’s for homework, no iPad. #2 No playdates or friends over. The reason behind these rules is to keep them focused on the routine above and their obligations.
Friday evening is an exception as while it’s a school day, it’s not a school night 🙂
Good luck creating school night routines with your babies, the time to start is now!