Something that has really simplified my life, especially as the boys have grown and I have to run their schedules too, is using my calendar for everything.
Some of the inventive ways I use my calendar are –
1. Colour coding each family member – shout out to second Mom, Sheila Anderson, for doing this first! Especially for the kids or at a glance, this makes this much easier than just a jumble of writing.
2. Marking down things I want to get done on certain days. On my calendar, you’ll see centralized notes to myself or family members – like change boys sheets or clean showers – tasks beyond my daily routines that I will write down with regularity to do.
3. Future reminders – If I have the furnace cleaned and they tell me it needs to be done again at the same time next year, I will write a calendar reminder for myself the month before. If the calendar runs out, I just write all of the reminders at the end for next year’s calendar.
4. My time – I do pick a random day each month at the beginning of my new calendar to pick a day for me. I usually just put a sticker on it. I know that this means it’s a day for me to take care of myself, sometimes that means going out for dinner with a friend, sometimes that just means I take a bath and make a dent in my pampering supply basket.
5. Birthdays – while I know that many people write birthdays on their calendars, I check them off once I’ve sent a gift or card.
Have fun using your calendar to the max and let it hold your reminders so that your busy brain can take a break!